1. What am I paying for with my Property Taxes?
Your property taxes are the main source of Income for the Village of Warfield. The money is spent on; Sewer Maintenance, Water Supply, Garbage pickup, Road Maintenance, Snow Removal, Recreation and Culture (which includes the Community Hall, the Swimming Pool, and use of the Recreation Facilities and the Library in Trail).
2. Can I pay by Credit Card?
No. The Village accepts cash, cheques and debit cards. You may also be able to pay through your bank.
3. Are penalties discretionary?
No. Penalties are mandated by Provincial legislation and are not discretionary.
4. I think my taxes are too high. Can I appeal them?
5. Why do I pay a School Tax?
All property owners in the province are required to pay school taxes. The school tax is not based on the property owner’s use of the school system. It is a suitable way to pay for part of public education costs given everyone benefits from a good school system.
6. My bank pays my taxes. Why do I still receive a tax bill?
All property owners are notified of tax levies. Keep the tax notice for your records. If you qualify for the Home Owner Grant, be sure to claim it as the bank cannot claim the grant for you.
7. How is a partial payment applied to my account?
Payments for taxes must be credited by the collector against the following in the indicated order:
- Delinquent taxes, including interest from past years
- Taxes in arrear, including interest from the preceding year
- A penalty added in the current year
- Current year taxes
8. How do I appear before Council?
Council welcomes delegations of residents, concerned citizens or community groups. Delegations are asked to provide a written summary of what they are presenting, in advance. This will allow the information to be circulated to Council beforehand, and becomes part of the minutes of the meeting.
If you have an issue which Village staff might be able to help with, we encourage you to contact staff before making a presentation to Council. The deadline for receiving submissions from delegates is on the Friday before the meeting day. Council meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m.
Our Online Delegation Application form is available on our Delegations Page.
9. Can I attend a Council meeting?
Yes, Council meetings are open to the public. Regular Council meetings are scheduled for the first and third Wednesday each month at 7 p.m.