Nine local governments in the West Kootenays, Silverton, New Denver, Slocan, Nelson, Rossland, Castlegar, Warfield, Kaslo, Regional District of Central Kootenay, are leading the way in developing a plan to achieve 100% renewable energy in our communities by 2050. We are working together to create solutions that will work for all of us, and for that we need your input.
We started engaging with residents across the region in late 2019 with in-person public meetings. Then the pandemic sent us all home.
That didn’t stop us. The way out of the pandemic puts even more pressure on us to have sustainable, healthier and safer communities. We’re still working on the plan, and we still want your input.
Take this survey (CLICK HERE) to share your ideas, priorities and concerns about the transition to 100% renewable energy in your community.
The West Kootenay 100% Renewable Energy Plan focuses on 4 components:
- Where we live, work and play: buildings (improving existing buildings, increasing the standards for new buildings and improving the livability of towns and villages)
- How we move around: transportation (public transit, biking, walking, electric vehicles)
- How we power our lives: energy (increasing clean energy production, phasing out fossil fuels)
- How we deal with our waste: waste management (compost/green bins, landfill diversion, landfill methane capture)
Questions in the survey include:
- What opportunities do you see to recover and rebuild from the COVID pandemic in your community to set us up for moving forward on the low carbon and renewable energy transition?
- What opportunities do you see for your community in the transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050?
- What barriers exist for your community in the transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050?
What is our vision for the future of Warfield?
Take the survey (CLICK HERE) now and let us know.
The survey will be available until June 5, 2020.